Culminating Project Title
Date of Award
Culminating Project Type
Electrical Engineering: M.S.
College of Liberal Arts
Dr. Yi Zheng
Dr. Aiping Yao
Dr. Timothy Vogt
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.
Keywords and Subject Headings
SmartMesh, WirelessHART, IoT, IEEE 802.15.4e, WSN, LTC5800
In recent years, a great deal of research conducted in a variety of scientific areas, including physics, microelectronics, and material science, by scientific experts from different domains of expertise has resulted in the invention of Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS). As MEMS became very popular and widely used, the need for combining the capabilities of sensing, actuation, processing, and communication also grew, and led to further research which would result in the design and implementation of devices which could reflect all those four capabilities. These devices became knowns as Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs) and they have been the focus of considerable research efforts in the areas of communications (routing, coding, error detection, error correction, and protocols), electronics (miniaturization and energy efficiency), and control (networked control system, theory, and applications).
SmartMesh IP is an innovative way to connect WSNs with advanced network management and comprehensive security features. It follows the IEEE 802.15.4e Timeslotted Channel Hopping (TSCH) standard. SmartMesh IP delivers reliable, scalable, and energy efficient wireless sensor connectivity. Using up to eight times less power than other solutions, SmartMesh IP has become the industry’s most energy-efficient wireless mesh sensing technology even in harsh and dynamically changing RF environments. Therefore, it is an excellent way to create a smart low-power network infrastructure.
Thus, the main objectives of this work are:
1) designing and developing a SmartMesh IP system for teaching and research purposes at St. Cloud State University,
2) developing lab procedures for two senior elective classes at St. Cloud State University. The lab procedures are for network manager and mote configuration, and operation control of the embedded system on the mote.
3) testing the performance of SmartMesh IP systems with several configurations.
To accomplish the above objectives, here are the tasks that I have completed:
1) Study of the SmartMesh IP Design: Performed extensive study of SmartMesh IP design resources including documentations and source codes.
2) Design of a SmartMesh IP Configuration software: this software has been designed and developed for configuring SmartMesh IP network managers, motes, and access points.
3) Design of a SmartMesh IP Temperature Logger software: this software has been designed and developed for monitoring the temperature data collected within a SmartMesh IP network using motes’ internal temperature sensors.
4) Design of a SmartMesh IP Network Statistics software: this software has been designed and developed for monitoring the statistics data (such as reliability, stability, and latency statistics) collected within a SmartMesh IP network.
5) Design of a SmartMesh IP Network Topology software: this software has been designed and developed for viewing the topology layout of a SmartMesh IP network.
6) Design of SmartMesh IP Temperature Plotter firmware and software: this platform has been designed and developed for monitoring the temperature data from external temperature sensors through ADC processing.
7) Design of SmartMesh IP Oscilloscope firmware and software: this platform has been designed and developed for viewing an analog signal’s digitized data.
To complete the above tasks, I relied heavily on the resources found in the dustcloud Community SmartMesh IP website:
In the end, a SmartMesh IP network and IoT system was successfully designed and developed. Also, the system was tested with 100% reliability under several applications and configurations.
Kamsu Tennou, Marc Aurel, "SmartMesh IP Network and IoT System" (2021). Culminating Projects in Electrical Engineering. 7.